Business Essentials for Writers Combo
This is for anyone that would like to take all four of James P. Nettles’s classes at a discounted rate.
These classes are 60 minutes each with a 30-minute Q&A session which will be recorded and as a part of buying
the classes you will receive an invitation to the digital version that will be available online through
Author Essential Workshops, and receive all future updates to the class.
In this class, you will learn
Business Fundamentals for Writers Workshop
• The people you work with within the publishing industry.
• Is it a hobby or a business, and how can I go from one to the other?
• How to build the foundations of your business and career in writing and publishing.
• Basic Sales & Marketing concepts (We will build on this in the Sales & Marketing Fundamentals for Writers and the Small Publishing Industry class).
• Basic Digital Marketing and Social Media concepts (We will build on this in the Digital Marketing Fundamentals for Writers and the Small Publishing Industry class).
• Basic Business Law and Intellectual Property Concepts (We will build on this in the Intellectual Property Fundamentals for Writers and the Small Publishing Industry class).
• How money works in publishing.
• Paths to publication.
Digital Marketing & Social Media Fundamentals for Writers Workshop
What is Digital Marketing vs. Social Media Marketing
• Digital Branding.
• Paid vs. Earned Media.
• Your website – what it is, and why it’s important. (It’s not what you think.)
• Your mailing list.
• Your Social Media accounts and presence (where you should be, and where you shouldn’t).
• Effectively using and reusing video, audio, and written content.
• Your digital customer avatar.
• Hashtags and keywords.
• Amazon Ads.
• Social Media Ads.
• Search Engine Ads.
Intellectual Property Fundamentals for Writers Workshop
- What is Intellectual Property, and why it’s important?
- Forms of IP, Copyright, Trademarks, Designs, Patents.
- The Library of Congress.
- Who owns the IP?
- Options to sell or license your IP.
- Public Domain.
- What is “Free Use” and how does it apply?
- Contracts and IP.
- The new SWFA Legacy Project and other resources.
Sales & Marketing Fundamentals for Writers Workshop
What is Marketing vs. Sales.
• Ethical and effective marketing.
• Making your pitch (to agents, publishers, and customers)
• Your digital footprint (We will build on this in the Digital Marketing Fundamentals for Writers and the Small Publishing Industry class).
• Sales & Marketing pipelines.
• Your customer (reader) avatar.
• Non-digital marketing and advertising.
• Indie Publishing distribution channels.